Monday, January 5, 2015

One Word for 2015

This is the first time in years I've gotten through the holidays and felt energized and excited. We had almost a week of downtime at home, and it made a huge difference in my attitude. I'm more than ready to tackle my to-do list this January! But first, I'm sharing my one word for the year.

This is my fourth year of praying for one word. In mid-December I began praying for God to lead me to a word to focus on in 2015. Within a short time one started flashing to me, but I didn't fully trust it, so I prayed off and on for another week. That word wouldn't go away!



My previous words were Peace, Trust, and Dream. I was a little scared of the word "victory." What if I got my hopes up too much and relied on victories that God never intended? Or what if it made me feel entitled? Self-absorbed? Arrogant?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to hear "struggle" as my word! We all have enough of that, don't we?. :) But hearing a good word can be just as daunting.

I always search for a Bible passage to memorize and cling to throughout the year. The one I found gave me reassurance.

1 Corinthians 15:57 "But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Once I read it, my worries disappeared. All of our victories are through our Lord Jesus Christ.

What a wonderful truth. Everything we do and have are through Jesus. These simple words took a load off my shoulders. One of my goals in 2015 is to continue the practice of reading two chapters of the Bible each morning before prayer. It centers me, reassures me, keeps my anxieties at a lower level. If I go too many days in a row without this time with the Lord, I get nervous and twitchy. It's not good.

If you're starting the new year on empty with a list of goals a mile long, I urge you to rest a few hours, or an entire day, if possible. I needed a few days away from the daily grind. It refreshed me in the best possible way.

Have you ever tried focusing on one word for the year? 

If you'd like to try it, spend time in prayer and try not to be in a hurry. It usually takes me more than a week until I'm certain of my word. 

Happy 2015!!

If you haven't signed up for  my newsletter, please subscribe HERE. Expect 4-6 newsletters a year with my latest updates. I never share your information and you can unsubscribe at any time!


10 comments:

  1. Awesome word, Jill! I did "one words" for a few years but was bad at truly focusing/reflecting on my word. Bad Melissa! I do resolutions, though. I know, not everybody's thing these days but I love them...I love the feeling of "it's a new year and this is a fresh start and these are my hopes/plans/goals/dreams..."

    If I did have a word for this year, though, I think the word would probably be "flexible." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! For me resolutions become wa-a-ay too intricate and I give up on them. One word centers me! But I will admit, one goal for this year is focusing on getting strong and healthy again! :)

      Delete
  2. What a great word, Jill! My blog-mates and I are doing a word-for-the-year thing this year and with 2 days to go I'm still trying to get my word to focus! lol It will come to me, I know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't rush it, Kristina! At some point you'll just know! Let me know what you come up with. ;)

      Delete
  3. I haven't ever focused on one word for a whole year. I think I'm too scattered for that! But I think Victory is a great word, especially for you for this year! I'm looking forward to watching you win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! My brain is always off on tangents!! I don't know why the one word works for me, but it does. :) Thanks so much for the kind words!

      Delete
  4. It does my heart good to know that you feel so relaxed and energized! And what a perfect word to go along with your wonderful attitude: VICTORY! I can't wait to see how God works that through your life in 2015. Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill: My word found me back at the end of July. I needed to be strong to stay on this Gluten-Free diet. I told God, I couldn't do this diet without Him. As I sat there I found myself realizing I needed His strength to get me through this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!